Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Dial 'M' for Monkey

Mr. Andrew Symonds,
I belong to a country whose citizens fought and defeated the purveyors of racism. I wear anti-racism proudly on my sleeve and it pains me to hear you allege the same against my countryman. Now, I am not in a position to know exactly what transpired on the field (given that even the umpires don’t know exactly what was said there). However, I refuse to believe that Harbhajan Singh ever said anything racist against you.
Do you know the meaning of the word racism? Prejudice or discrimination based on an individual’s race – that is racism! I must tell you that ‘monkey’ is not even remotely racist (except when you are from a primate race). If, and that is a very big if (because, frankly, I don’t believe a word you say), Harbhajan called you a monkey, I don’t understand why you are so upset. It definitely is not as bad as the words you use to describe our players; not as bad as being called a ‘ba***rd’ or a 'm*********er'. Or do you think otherwise? Maybe, you don’t mind being called the latter (I cannot imagine why). Maybe you are upset about being called a monkey because you don't wish to insult the monkeys. All my life different people have called me a monkey without getting told on by me, and I don’t even look half alike - You should have no reason to complain. However, if you are so determined to be hypersensitive to being called a monkey, Mr. Symonds, tell me this:
Did your mother go to the forest or did the chimpanzee come home?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo!! That is just too cool Jake....and well-said...just wish Symonds would read this. :-D

Anonymous said...

Absolutely correct man. Symons needs to learn some respect

Anonymous said...

India should come back. Forget the tour. Cheatercocks!

Anonymous said...

Find that chap's email and send it to him. Let him also know what the world thinks of him. :=)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry bajji, india is with you. We love sachin. We love india

Anonymous said...

I loved the ending. You write well mate.